Wednesday, July 10, 2019

More About Guns

Since my last bit of excitement at the Steele Gun Range, I've been thinking about guns, more than doing anything.  Sometimes things just have to naturally unfold and on a recent Sunday, things unfolded.

There's an informal target shooting area near a bridge on the edge of one of the many cotton fields that surround us.  The water-filled ditch is filled with horsetails and I considered uprooting a handful to take home and plant.  Reflection cautioned me that this stuff might actually take over like bamboo which would not be a good idea.   But, I DO have it on my mind to create a small water garden and this would be an ideal addition. At least I know where I can easily pick some up and actually turn the doing into another adventure.  Who knows what I might find growing in an irrigation ditch?

Our friend, Mike, offered to take me and the pirate to this out of the way spot and there I tried out a .22 target pistol. Zero hits on the target with the .22 but next up was the .38 revolver with a 2-inch barrel.  I managed to line up the front sight with the rear sight and actually hit the target 3 times.  Not too shabby but that darn thing sure jumped in my hand.


The pirate got in on the fun too and he had some success as he told Mike some old war story about "qualifying" on the shooting range while in the military.  Two old war horses laughed over that and how soldiers help each other out when it was necessary.  But it's the pirate's story to tell in detail so none will be told here.  Suffice it to say, it was the first time I had heard the story.  



Moving along on the shooting options -  next up was a .22 rifle.  Mike promised me it had next to no kick (oh, excuse me to all purists.  I mean recoil.) Yeah, a recoil by any other name is still a recoil even if you do call it a kick.   Anyway,  Mike was true to his word and with my first shot, I hit the target.  This is when I discovered the virtues of crosshairs.  Seriously.  I LIKE crosshairs.  Five shots.  Five hits.  Mike told the pirate that if I ever pointed that thing at him (I promise, I won't) that he was to run.  FAST.  I was feeling quite pleased with myself.

But then I got to the .22 semi-automatic and I think I fell in love.  Eight shots and six hits.  Darn, I think I'm starting to favor semi's over revolvers.  More experienced shooters have consistently told me that I need to find the right .38.  Anything smaller can simply be an annoyance.  I'll let y'all just think about that.


One of our local men in blue talked with me later and was happy that I was taking such an interest in guns and while, no, there were no local women's gun clubs, he did acknowledge that the idea had possibilities.  So, what say you, ladies?  Any interest out there in forming a ladies shooting club?  I have zero interest in linking up with formal, dues-paying, follow our rules organizations but something on the order of a ladies gun club (sort of like a local book club or garden club) might be fun.  Any feedback on that idea?  Chase me down, locals. I'm not hard to find.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! No one's going to mess with you if you keep this up, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Ginny. So glad to see you saying hi on this point. You didn't chime in on my first gun post and I figured it was in line with your pacific views (which is perfectly cool and understandable). It really was a bit of an adventure. The heat was terrible. Humidity worse. And I was having a blast.

      Delete
  3. From Friend, Jane at FB.

    Might want to be pretty careful on those ditch banks. Snakes like those ditches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Chuck on FB

    GET DON TO SHOW U OLD HWY 61 ACROSS WEIGH STATION. ONLY ROAD TO MEMPHIS BACK IN THE DAY.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gun club? fun gun club? I guess no one in my state.

    thank you for sharing of your experience.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. In all the years I have known you Annie, I never, ever figured you for a gun enthusiast. If that's what floats your boat, go for it! No reason why women cannot experience the "thrill" mostly saved for men. If more people were educated on gun safety and the pleasure of target shooting, maybe more people would not use them for ill. UGOGIRL. About those cattails, remember gators explore those ditches too. Be careful, and don't take your dog. Hope you don't get Barry. Saw on TV the Mississippi is already flooding in some places. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete