Wednesday, March 18, 2020

In A Time of Corona

Dear Ones,

As I sit here in my rural corner of the world, I am reminded, because of the corona numbers and how they have spread so disproportionately, of just how different the meaning of rural may vary from place to place.  I always thought Turlock was rural until I moved to SE Missouri.  Now I find myself in a little pocket of safety.  Yes, the use of the term "safe" may seem self-deluding, but I have only to look at numbers to feel a sense of "safety" and gratitude for where I am at.  

We, like everyone else, are taking the measures needed to slow this virus down and life is awkward and a bit complicated but after my own personal experience of feeling dread passed, I settled down into a routine which seems to be working out, if not comfortably, at least workable.  Of course, that could change tomorrow but, I'm writing this today.

That all being said, I must say that nothing has disturbed me more than when churches started to close.  I never imagine that Catholic churches would actually close.  Slow down, yes, but close?  Never in our life time have most of us Catholics experienced such a thing.  Even bad weather doesn't keep us at home.  So here I am, writing to friends and family, Catholic and not,  sharing the news that our diocese, like so many across the country, has literally shut down.  I am rattled to my bones.

Because of this, I feel deeply moved to ask that you all, in your own way, pray for yourself, your state, our country, the world.  Please pray daily.  Even just a moment of "Hello God, it's _____.  Please protect us" is a prayer.  All prayer is powerful, Combined prayer can move mountains.

I love you and I pray for you,


Annie Jeffries

2 comments:

  1. So many changes everywhere. Looks like London is going into lockdown on Friday and our age group is to isolate and/or keep several feet away from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are safe and well! There is a website called Zoom, and our church meets with that site. We can all see each other as we sit at home, and speak to each other freely.

    ReplyDelete