Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Musings on a Wednesday Afternoon

The urge to write isn't strong these days.  But today I found myself musing on this past week and it deserves to be put into words. So, . . .

After Christmas with a houseful and then some, life was quiet for a short time.  Then I visited the kiddos in Tennessee and it was non-stop action as only a household can be when the littles are 8 and younger.  

Between two squabbling boys and another one in the mighty throes of the Terrible Twos - well, just think about that for a moment.  Between home schooling, an endless parade of dishes in and out of the dishwasher, and laundry that Just. Won't. Stop., I don't know how my daughter does it.  But, she does.  I learned, jumping into the deep end, that visiting the grands isn't for wimps.  But it really had some great moments.  






I had a chance to see my old social media friend, pre- Facebook, no less, Beth.  We all met

 

at Katie's ice cream while the kids ran free in the play area and the "grown ups" hung out for a couple of hours catching up.  Good times.


I experienced home schooling.

 
...and I'm so proud of how smart and engaged the kids are.

I love the beauty of Tennessee.  I've been fortunate to have traveled a lot in my life so I've experienced much beauty in many states and countries.  The rivers of the South are especially fine to me.  

I took this picture on the fly as we were crossing the Cumberland River.

Saturday I went to a six year old's birthday party in Nashville.  By Sunday afternoon I was feeling ill.  By 1:34 a.m. I visited the bathroom for the first of 4 visits loosing it all from stem to stern.  Sorry for the TMI but we've all been there.  Four days later, I'm tired, not eating, but home in my own bed.  Kris has been dealing with two sick ones, the youngest and the oldest.  That party was the gift that kept on giving.

Sunday, while the bug was still in stealth mode, incubating quietly for it's first seige, we went to Mass at Assumption Church in Nashville.  It has been many years since I have attended a Traditional Latin Mass (TLM).  It was a good experience and the church was packed, many of the attendees young and BIG families.  It was so gratifying to see this.  I look forward to attending Assumption again.   Afterward, I took a walk around the neighborhood and found a charming white cottage, a Little Free Library, and a sculpture garden.  Alas, it was the last of the good times.  😒




So, now I am at home again after a week away.  Energy is low but the brain is in active musing mode.  I started thinking about the things I remember the most about family members who are now departed.  My father and his homemade peanut brittle.  My mother and her persimmon cookies and pumpkin squares.  My paternal grandfather and his fried donuts and flapjacks.  My paternal grandmother and her homemade bread,  I remember the sound of their old grandmother clock as it ticked away the time.  Happily, I have that clock now.  I have no memories of my mother's parents; they died long before I was born.  But I have some treasures from that time and the memory of a few other treasures that, sadly, were stolen from my home many years ago.  

But as I get older, I find myself becoming less and less attached to material things and I'm finally becoming comfortable with that state of mind. What I still have, and am so grateful for, is a wonderful family.  Two children and their spouses (Q and Kris, you chose well), 4 grandchildren, a good husband, and a brother.  I love them all so much and every thought of them is a thank you to God.






2 comments:

  1. FROM MICHELE

    Hello there! Seeing your blog makes me realize that it’s been a while since we talked.
    I loved your blog by the way and I am sorry you were sick. What a bummer. Check your email. I sent a newsy letter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FROM BIENE

    Thank you, Anne. I am so sorry that you got sick, and your younger ones. Those photos were nice. I hope you will go and investigate during the summer. And write a little more. My best to Don. B

    ReplyDelete